Rather than attempt to form a coherent analysis each week about the happenings of college football, I thought it appropos to let art imitate life and set my writing style to the game I’m writing about. So since we’re talking about college football, let chaos reign! Here are my random musings after watching this year’s first weekend:
- Robert Griffith III can play. Yes, I know Denard Robinson was the “darling” last year after an impressive start, but TCU’s defense isn’t Notre Dame… they’re better! Griffith could make Baylor relevant again
- Boise State can play… with anyone. Can we please stop with all the Boise-bashing now? They absolutely owned an upper echelon SEC team in they’re own back yard.
- Ohio State is glad to be playing football again. The Bucks looked good Saturday. Yes, Mark May, it was only Akron, but Joe Bauserman looked comfortable in the pocket, Braxton Miller was impressive during his time, and the defense was dominant. New coach Luke Fickell and Mike Vrabel looked like they’ve got the Bucks playing with some fire. They did exactly what they were supposed to do against Akron. And Lou Holtz was right: Mark May is an idiot.
- You’re not in Clifton any more, Brian Kelly. Welcome to the big time. You wanted the pressure of Notre Dame, you got it. And you got it without as much talent as you had at UC. Good luck with that.
- Preseason rankings are stupid. As another writer pointed out today, Oregon was stupid to play LSU in the first week. They should have blown out a couple of cupcakes first. Then after losing to LSU, they wouldn’t have dropped nearly as far and would still be on the outskirts of the BCS conversation. Instead, Chip Kelly and company are out of the national title picture. Dumb.
- Maryland either needs a new state flag or to pass legislation outlawing those godawful uniforms their state university was sporting last night.